Tuesday 16 November 2010

A bib, sleep sack and quilt, oh my!

Can you believe it? It only took me a week to whip up this patchwork bib, sleep sack and quilt! It's amazing what a motivator getting paid is. That's right...I got paid! Am I giving up my day job? Heck no, but it is pretty exciting.


A colleague at work asked me to make something handmade so she could give her best friend a lovely little baby shower gift later this month. We had one quick pow wow looking through some fabric websites and Etsy before she basically gave me carte blanche to buy some fabrics and get sewing. I presented her with the finished projects this morning and she really seemed to like them...fingers crossed that her friend will too!

The bib is a pattern from Lotta Jansdotter's Simple Sewing for Baby book which I modified to add the binding and opted not to include the pocket.


The sleep sack is from Anna Maria Horner's latest book, Handmade Beginnings. I am in love with this pattern! I wish it were around when Abner was smaller...when I think of the money we spent on sleep sacks...well, let's just say, I could whip up at least two for the price we paid for each of ours.




The quilt is my own creation...not that there's anything tricky about the design. I went for straight up patchwork with continuous binding. The top is just a mix of standard quilting cottons and a cotton flannel on the back.





To quilt it, I used three different embroidery hoops and hand stitched circles in three different colours all over the quilt. The effect is absolutely amazing and it was so easy to do. I really enjoyed the rhythm of all that hand sewing, and I honestly don't think I'll do any more machine quilting. It's way less frustrating doing it by hand.





I am so grateful to have had this opportunity and am looking forward to many more paid projects to come!

18 comments:

  1. oh kim - it is SO beautiful! i love the colours and your perfect finishing. great photos too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim-- Your latest creation is stunning!I too, love the colours and your meticulous work. Great job! How could the new mom not love it all!!!!!Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a wonderful gift kim. maybe you could give up your day job and start a little business@:DDDD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, it is so nice. I love the mermaid swatch, and the hand embroidery. The colours work so well together, that will be one stylish sleeping baby!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice. Do you ship to Luxembourg?

    ReplyDelete
  6. @miranda
    Glad you like the photos! The photographer at work let me use the studio...what a difference it makes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Jan
    I'm pretty sure she'll like it, but we'll have to wait until next week to find out. Boo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Bonnie
    I would be over the moon if I could do this all day and get paid for it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Mirabelle
    That is definitely one of my favourite fabrics too! I also like Heather Ross' new line of fabrics: http://heatherross.squarespace.com/fabrics/

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Julia
    I'd be thrilled to send you a little something for the new baby...any requests?

    ReplyDelete
  11. congratulations on your first sale! i agree with everyone else, everything looks great (and i am envious of your ability to have all the corners match up so perfect on the quilt!). i also agree on the photos, very nice indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those are great! How fun to get paid for making such lovely items.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @t
    Thanks Tara! More kudos from a photographer...I must go blush now!

    ReplyDelete
  14. @myredbike
    Thanks Holly! Hopefully it's the first of many.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow - super duper gorgeous. Any parent getting all the usual 10pack of facecloths and ugly receiving blankets will be so delighted to get these instead.

    I agree about the sleep sacks - I only ever bought one and it was half price but then my mom made me a lighter one out of - yes, a pillowcase! for summertime - and was amazed how easy it was.

    ReplyDelete
  16. @clara
    A pillowcase sleep sack? Your mother is genius! I just may have to rip off that idea. Thanks Clara!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kim, I just had to tell you that I gave my friend the gifts this weekend, and she loved them! Not that I ever doubted she would. Thanks so much for your amazing work!

    I have a feeling this could be the beginning of a successful career of paid quilting, sewing, and crafting for you . . .

    ReplyDelete
  18. @Alisha
    That's great news Alisha! Woo hoo...first projects a complete success!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...