Monday 30 September 2013

Stripes askew and I'm OK with that

Stripes are classic, aren't they? Especially crooked ones.


For the life of me, I could not get this fabric to lay flat the other night when I was cutting the pieces for this top. After about 30 minutes of folding this way and that, I gave up and accepted the fact that the stripes were never going to run perfectly horizontally. My stripes were destined to be askew (as an aside, type the word "askew" into Google and see what happens - you're welcome).

I didn't have a pattern to follow for this boxy top. I just placed one of my favourite tops on the fabric and got cutting. My goal was for a loose-fitting, comfy t-shirt, so I think I've hit the mark.

True I would like it so much better if the stripes had cooperated and run straight, but I think I've got a good workaround - just wear it off one shoulder! No one will notice. I'm so sneaky.


If all goes according to plan, I should have a few more projects ready to share with you in the next couple of weeks: a cute wee little tank top for Abner, a little something for the local Scout troop, a finished scrap quilt and a new quilt pattern to share!

4 comments:

  1. ha! i love it :) i dealt with my fair share of uncooperative fabrics in this past week too... ugh. and now i'm more curious than i should be about googling askew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, knits are notorious for not laying right for me. Your top looks fab though. Also, I <3 google.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jill! Glad I'm not the only one who struggles with knits!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...