Tuesday 11 January 2011

Undercover piano bench

Since Abner was very small, one of her favourite things to do at Grandma and Grandpa's house is play the piano. All of the climbing up and down to get at those oh-so-fun-to-pound keys was sure taking a toll on the piano bench though. The corners were all chipped and other dents and scratches were starting to show up after almost every visit. So, when I drew my mom's name in our family's Christmas gift exchange, I was happy to have an opportunity to remedy the situation.

One stealthy measurement job by my brother and a quick trip to the fabric store and I had everything I needed to create this custom made piano bench cover.


I didn't have a pattern to follow so I just cut the fabric to the measurements my brother gave me (plus seam allowances), added a short skirt to create a tailored look and figured out a very simple way to affix the finished piece to the bench with elastics. I added a thin layer of leftover quilting batting to add a little cush for the tush.



Word from my mom is that the new cover is being put to good use and looks great in the living room...all that and not a dent or scratch in sight!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...