Coats seem to be a bit of a theme at the moment. In addition to finishing my own new coat, I put some of that thrift store fabric I found this summer to use and made a new hooded jacket for Abner.
The pattern was from a fairly straightforward jogging suit pattern from Burda (9672). However, I did wind up making quite a few adjustments. For one, the original pattern for the full-zip jacket did not include the hood, so I had to add that on by using the hood pattern piece from the half-zip jacket. No sweat!
The original pattern also didn't include a lining. Admittedly, if I'd used polar fleece as the pattern recommended, no lining would be needed. What kid wouldn't want soft, fuzzy polar fleece against their skin? But to use the cute, adorable, yet scratchy polyester fabric I went with, I knew I'd need a lining if I ever wanted Abner to actually wear the thing. The leftover candy striper flannel from her housecoat was just the thing. Making the lining was actually pretty easy, but did require a fair bit of hand sewing. Boo...though I must say, my hand sewing is getting to be quite good these days!
Once I'd already cut out all my fabric, I realized that the recommended zipper length was a bit long, but since zippers only come in even inch lengths, I was stuck because the next size down would have been too short. To make it work, I had to decrease the seam allowance on the hood and at the ribbing (thus lengthening the front a bit). Then I had to stretch the front just a wee bit to get the zipper in. Because I couldn't stretch the lining quite as much as I could stretch the outer fabric, I wound up with a gap where the lining didn't meet the ribbing. To resolve this, I added a little strip of trim I had kicking around. Worked out pretty well, if I do say so myself!
Now that it's done and Abner's worn it a few times, I have to admit, I think this is my favourite mama-made project so far! It totally looks like the kind of coat I would have had as a kid back in the day.