Here are some of the scenarios I've put some thought into on occasion:
- What if the combustion engine was never invented?
- What if gun powder had never been invented?
- What if humans suddenly ceased to exist? [Interestingly, Global TV aired a program a few months ago that documented exactly what would happen if this ever occurred. It was so amazing to see how long after our disappearance our impact would still be felt. Think of all of the automated systems that would continue to run for some time afterward: airplanes flying on autopilot, nuclear reactors still cooling themselves to prevent meltdowns, lights and sprinklers on timers, etc.]
- What if Gore had won the election in 2000? [Oh, if only!]
- What if interurban electric streetcars were still the norm and not buses?
- What if everyone recycled every possible item they could?