Saturday 27 August 2011

Books are good for you!

My sewing machine has been in the shop all week. It seems like cruel torture to send it off having only just been reunited with it after the big move. I remind myself that it's all worthwhile since it will be in tip top shape once I get it back on Monday. To bide my time until then, I've been pouring over some of my sewing books looking for inspiration.

Susan Beal's Modern Log Cabin Quilting book is proving a handy guide to a quilting technique I've wanted to learn for a while. I was drawn to this book because of the stunning quilt on the cover (which reminds me a lot of the pink cross quilt I started a few months ago). I haven't actually attempted my own log cabin blocks just yet, but it's on my list (somewhere between making curtains for the new house and designing a new tree skirt for our Christmas tree).


Susan's t-shirt memory quilt has also caught my eye since I've been commissioned to make yet another t-shirt quilt for a friend. I'm not sure it would work for this particular project, but it might be worth a try on the next one.


1, 2, 3 Sew by Ellen Juckett Baker is another book that I've taken off the shelf lately. The simplicity of her projects is very appealing. I love the idea of sitting down to start a project and being able to finish in just a couple of hours rather than days (or, ya know, years).


Aren't these little blockhead animals cute?!?!? I can't wait to make one of those little bunnies!


This circle floor pillow has actually inspired me to create a new custom quilt project...more to come on that later.


I'm not gonna lie, that tee pee on the cover is the main reason I bought Med McElwee's new book, Growing Up Sew Liberated. I mean, come on, who wouldn't want one of those tee pees to play in?!


In truth, I will probably skip the tee pee pattern and attempt some of these fabulous knit projects instead. Now that Abner is a bit older, I definitely find it a bit harder to find books with patterns in her size. I appreciate that Meg has included designs for babies and little kids alike.




What sewing books are you reading these days?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...