Monday 9 April 2012

The force is strong with this quilt

Behold -- my first Star Wars quilt!


Well, okay, it's actually Clone Wars, not Star Wars. Whatever. Meet Commander Wolffe - the leader of the 104th Battalion's famed Wolfpack squad (never having watched Clone Wars, I'll have to assume Wookieepedia knows what its talking about). All I know is that he is my nephew's favourite Star Wars character and I had to find a way to immortalize him (Cmd. Wolffe, not my nephew) in quilt form.

After staring at this image for an hour or so, I sketched out this pattern for a 40 x 50 inch quilt:


The design is simply the Cmd. Wolffe helmet pixelated in 2-inch squares -- over 500 of 'em. I managed to piece the entire top in a single day and applique the accents a day later.



To quilt, I opted to tape out each colour area and outline each area in complementary handstitching.


The back is a Clone Wars sheet taken from the bedding set my brother bought ages ago for my nephew. I love how the quilting can be seen quite well on the back so it's kind of like Cmd. Wolffe is on both sides of the quilt.


The whole quilt came together so beautifully. I can't wait to make another one. Wouldn't Boba Fett or Yoda  look awesome as pixel quilts? No, no...wait...R2D2! Oh man. I think I may be addicted to making pixel quilts.


Anyhow, my family Skyped me in for the big reveal after Easter dinner tonight. I gotta say, I think my nephew really likes his new quilt. Auntie of the year, I am.

4 comments:

  1. wow, what a wonderful quilt for a boy!!! you are one talented quilter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the most kick-ass quilt I've ever seen! Big Star Wars fan here and I might need you to make me something like this for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so awesome, Kim! What a lucky nephew you have! Nice that you could Skype to see his reaction.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I put up the 'reveal' video. Forgive me for the poor videography in the last minute or so. I was multitasking.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QB7EOQNcglk

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...