Tuesday 2 March 2010

I don't just write for blogs anymore!

Dear faithful readers, I'm just a wee bit excited today! My first article in Urban Baby & Toddler hit the streets! Aside from my Facebook friends, you're the first group I've told (that's how much I love you all!).

As you may remember, I had the idea to write a book about stroller-friendly walks while I was on mat leave. I even spoke to a book publisher before coming to my senses and realizing I had no time to write a book. Seeing a colleague of mine stress through writing her own first book was definitely the clincher on abandoning the idea - I'm just not that dedicated I'm afraid.

The idea was still rattling around in my head in the months after I returned to work when one day I told a colleague about it. She loved the idea, said it would be perfect for her magazine (she just so happens to be the editor of Urban Baby & Toddler)* and asked me to submit something for the Spring issue.

So that was way back in June of last year. And did I get right on it and write my article? Heck no. It wasn't until she emailed me in January to tell me that the 1400-word article was due in a little over two weeks that I finally had my motivation.

One walk-filled weekend and a couple of nights of writing and I was done. If you're in the area, be sure to pick up your own copy and check out pages 24, 25 and 32. If you're not in the area, the magazine is online too!

I'll actually be writing a regular column the magazine now so if anyone would like to join me for a walk, just let me know! I'm also hoping to parlay the idea into a blog so stay tuned for more on that front soon.

*Why yes, I do indeed work with freakishly over-achieving women who do things like write books and edit magazines on top of working at regular jobs and raising kids!

3 comments:

  1. CONGRATS!

    And hey if you write enough articles / posts about it, eventually you'll have enough material for a book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Freakishly overachieving women"? Um, I'll take that as a compliment?! No, seriously, I will. No one's ever called me an overachiever before. I'll have to let my high school counsellor know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats Kim, very well written! I'd hardly call you "underproductive." Missing our walks now that we're not neighbours anymore...Looking forward to seeing you all on the weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...