Sunday, 15 February 2009

UPDATE: Let the quilting begin!

You may remember a few months ago I started working on a quilt for Abner. With the chaos of the holidays and teething, I just got back to working on it this weekend.
I'm not working from a pattern, so I started by laying out my strips on the floor to get a better idea of how they'll look in the end. It took a few attempts before I got the arrangement below which has the gradient effect I was going for. After getting a layout I was happy with, I carefully stacked up each piece of fabric so that I could sew them together in the correct order.

Initially, I had been planning to do a twin sized quilt. Then, once I cut out all the strips, I thought I had enough to do a queen sized quilt. Now that I have all the pieces set out, I think I'll have to go back to my original plan. The strips are only about 2.5 inches wide so once you take the seam allowance into account, you're dealing with some pretty thin strips so it'll take a lot of them to make up a quilt.
Today I managed to get all of the strips sewn together into one L-O-N-G strip. I'll unravel the coiled up strip (see below) and cut out even lengths to assemble the quilt over the next few days. I don't really have a good reason for doing it this way, but it'll add to the randomness of the pattern while still keeping the gradient intact.

I'm still debating on the colour for the binding and backing, but I'm leaning toward grey since it appears in many of the fabrics and won't show dirt much (God, I sound like such a mom!)


  1. love this - and it looks so beautiful all rolled up. sewing it into a huge strip is a great idea!

  2. i LOOOOOVE your quilt! too cute! and yes if you can smear (oh heaven help us) whatever it is that kids smear on everything...and it doesn't show up so bad...well then you got yourself a winner!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...