Sunday 26 October 2008

My daughter the odd-ball

These first six months of parenthood have been filled with many remarkable events. There was the first time Abner started holding her head up by herself, standing on her own (okay...with our help a bit), rolling over, sitting without help, picking up toys with one hand, sleeping through the night. Actually, we're still waiting on that last one, but you get the idea.

As remarkable as each of these events are, every kid will eventually do these things at some point in their development. What I find truly remarkable are the things she's starting to do that are uniquely Abner. Her personality is starting to develop and to be quite honest, it has some quirks to it.

For example, we've always known that Abner is a sucker. TDSH and I spent the first two months of her life with one of our finger's in her mouth until we finally broke down and started using a soother. While sucking is perfectly normal, it's what she chooses to suck on that I find a bit odd. Check out the photo below.

That's right...Abner's new favorite sucking toy is my chin. Lately it seems like anytime she gets withing a few inches of my face she turns into a little leech and suctions onto my chin. The worst part is that she bites. Hard.

Another oddity is her favorite word. She absolutely loves this word. Say it when she's crying and she stops almost immediately. Repeat it several times in a row and she giggles her head off like you've just told the funniest joke ever. This magical word...the word of all words...her favoritest word in the world iiisssss...stick. Weird, I know.

I also question her taste in music. When I was a kid, I remember listening to Raffi; Sharon, Lois and Bram; Charlotte Diamond and Anne Murray (There's a Hippo in my Tub rocks!). While I do play some of that stuff for Abner, she seems to have taken a particular liking to Stevie Wonder. Now, don't get me wrong, I really like Stevie Wonder's music, but it seems a bit unusual for an almost six-month-old. TDSH and I had her entertained for five minutes the other day serenading her with Sir Duke and Superstition. She's even started doing this head swaying thing we've dubbed "the Stevie" since it reminds us of Stevie Wonder. So cute!

1 comment:

  1. Yay - six months for Abner! Congrats. Love the leeching - that is adorable. Stick is the magical word? Too funny. Stevie Wonder? Weird, what they like...

    Remember when I told you Cole loves Perry Como? Well that is still going strong...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...